Temperatures are dropping fast along the Mississippi Gulf Coast with some reports saying there is even a chance of snow. PLEASE follow these tips to keep your pets safe during cold weather.
Tips to Keep Your Pets Safe During Winter and Cold Weather:
- Take precautions if your pet spends a lot of time outdoors. Bring your pets indoors during periods of cold weather.
- Follow this General Rule: If it’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for your pets.
- Speak out when you see a pet left in the cold. Politely let the owner know you are concerned. If that does not work call your local animal control and report pets that are suffering, so they can have a chance at a warm, happy, loving home.
- Feed well. Keep your pets at a healthy weight throughout the winter months. Talk to your vet about your pet’s nutritional needs throughout the winter.
- Dress your pets. Warm sweaters will keep pets comfortable while on walks in cold weather.
- Monitor pets around wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, electric blankets and space heaters. These can cause severe burns.
- Pets should NEVER be left alone in vehicles. Leaving a pet in a vehicle is always dangerous, and in cold weather it increases the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning or hypothermia.
My Pinky and Bella, Rocking their Winter Fashions!